Tuesday, May 24, 2011

In Memory Of.

With the recent passing of 'Macho Man' Randy Savage, I felt as though it was time to share my thoughts about the deaths in professional wrestling. It isn't a secret that many wrestlers meet an early demise, with not too may of them living past an average age of 45. Lives and careers are cut short due to a variety of reasons, some self-inflicted and some just terrible accidents. A business loses a talent and the fans lose someone that they have looked up to for many years. When a wrestler dies, people come out of the woodwork with theories and reasons as to why it happened. No death is ever just that. There is always some kind of controversy surrounding it. It really makes me angry when people just assume a circumstance in a wrestler's death, it doesn't make them any less important than any other professional athlete that passes away.

The number one conclusion that people jump to is that it was steroids that contributed to the death of an individual. A myriad of evidence exists to support the fact that wrestlers lived lives of excess and no boundaries, I think this was more prevalent during the 'Rock 'n Wrestling' era (not saying that it did not exist at any other time). The fact of the matter is that the WWE does in fact provide very well for any talent signed to its roster, past or present. Their health and wellness policy is one of the most comprehensive ones I've ever seen for their field of work, there is no room for squeaking by or slipping through the cracks. Talent must submit to drug testing several times a year, penalties are handed down if ANYBODY is found in violation of this policy, and they provide rehab for anyone who needs it, among many other things. You can view the policy in full by clicking here.

It is listed on the 'Corporate' section of the WWE website that only five wrestlers have died while under contract with the company. One accident, one suicide, and three from heart disease. I personally think that, in the deaths related to drugs/alcohol, that an individual is responsible for their own actions. These aren't children that are being dealt with, it's grown people. If you are an adult and can't realize that drugs are bad, then you've got more problems than you think. Although the health and wellness policy was only introduced in 2006, there is more than enough support from the company to get its past and present talent the help that it needs. Whether you take it or not, that's your choice.

As for the accidental deaths, they are simply that, accidents. In the case of Owen Hart, it's not like Vince set out to kill him. It was an unfortunate series of events that led to that tragedy. No blame can be placed on anyone for that, and I admire the company for taking responsibility and stepping up to assist Martha, Oje, and Athena. I do feel sorry that they have to deal with Martha Hart, but that's another story for another article. The Chris Benoit situation is a completely different can of worms. That was completely shocking and very disturbing. He had the brain of an Alzheimer's patient and he just snapped. I'm not excusing what he did by any means, but he obviously was not well.

No matter what the circumstances, the wrestler that passes away leaves a lasting stamp on the business and the fans that they left behind. I'd like to share my thoughts on two wrestling deaths that left a huge impact on me:

Chris Benoit:
His death has to be one of the most controversial in all of professional wrestling. I was crushed when I got the text message that something happened. I froze. On my way to work that day, I grabbed whatever newspapers I could and watched every newscast after work. I simply refused to believe that one of my all-time favorites was dead, along with his family. I cried through the whole episode of Monday Night Raw dedicated to his life and career. When the details emerged I didn't know what to think. I get so emotional talking about him simply because he meant so much to me. One of the all time greats, it is just too bad that he had such a tragic end to what would have been a Hall of Fame worthy career. How do you react to something like this? There is no right or wrong way.

That being said, I still greatly admire his wrestling career, I do not condone what happened at all. I still enjoy watching his matches and seeing him go toe to toe with the biggest and baddest in the business.

Owen Hart:
I was sitting in my living room in my Bret Hart t-shirt when it happened. I wasn't too sure what was going on. Then they showed Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler at the announce table. Jerry, looking away and Jim Ross, pale as a ghost. It was unfathomable to me at the time to hear 'Owen Hart has died.'. I watched the rest of 'Over the Edge' in silence. The greatest tragedy ever happened on that night and I still have the pay-per-view on VHS and have it poked away. The thought of seeing Jim Ross announce that a member of my favorite wrestling family has passed away actually makes me sick to my stomach. I cried for a week straight, the tribute episode of Monday Night Raw for Owen was the biggest outpouring of love I have ever seen. It is still hard for me to deal with someone I grew up watching on television just dying like that. I will always think of Owen as a man of integrity and honesty, loving to have fun and caring about everyone around him. He is proof that you didn't have to be the biggest or baddest to be successful in the ring, you just have to have 'Hart'. Rest in peace Owen. We miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment