Monday, May 2, 2011

Happy Birthday to You...

Last night, the WWE superstars were pushed to their breaking point at the Extreme Rules pay-per-view that took place in Tampa. Overall, I thought the pay-per-view was decent, it had its great moments but also had some lows. First off, I'd like to discuss what I thought were the high points of the event...

Randy Orton vs. CM Punk (Last Man Standing)
I  am always curious as to how 'extreme' a match like this can get with the PG rating. I thought that both Randy Orton and CM Punk did an amazing job with the time that they were given. This was one of the most entertaining matches I have seen the two involved in during their feud. The two standout moments for me were when CM Punk shoved Randy into the post with a chair around his neck and then when Orton delivered an RKO on the announce table. There wasn't any blood in the match but those moments made me cringe.

My big question is how will this feud continue or end off since both men are on different brands? Will we see more brand crossover? I think this one has the potential to be extremely entertaining and hopefully they continue with it for the foreseeable future, or at least until Summerslam.

Kofi Kingston vs. Sheamus (Tables Match for the United States Championship)
It was an add-on, a last minute match. However, I was extremely happy to cheer Kofi on when he won that belt. He seemed to be getting a push and then he got swept to the sidelines. Kofi has the potential to be a massive star in the business and I am glad he got his time to shine. Booker T mentioned his 'mean streak' throughout the match and how he may have to keep that up to be taken seriously, I sure hope he doesn't. I wouldn't want him to go in the same direction that R-Truth is heading.

Jim Ross & Jerry Lawler vs. Michael Cole and Jack Swagger (Country Whipping Match - Strap Match)
The one point I have to mention is that I was out of my seat to see Ross and Lawler get their hands and take their boots to Cole.

Christian vs. Alberto Del Rio (Ladder Match for the Vacant WWE World Heavyweight Championship)
This was the highlight of the night and should have been the main event match. I have never seen two men put on such an entertaining match in quite some time. I still maintain that Del Rio is getting a push too soon and that he isn't established enough yet to hold such a major belt. My Dad and I got into a huge discussion during the match about who would win and we both decided on Christian. Being one of the pioneers of the modern ladder match, he proved without a doubt that he is deserving of being in a main event and winning the big prize. The highlight of the match was when Edge came out, he added a special touch and an emotional end to one hell of a match. I was glued to the edge of my seat the entire time, literally jumping off the couch when he won. I'm proud as a fan to see that he finally got what he had coming to him, especially after losing the ECW title on the very last broadcast (Yes, I'm still a little bitter about that haha!).

Now to discuss the few low points of the night...

Big Show & Kane vs. Ezekiel Jackson and Wade Barrett (Lumberjack Match)
Seriously? Do I even have to say anything about this to the people who watched it? What a waste. Someone needs to start caring about tag team wrestling, or we are going to end up with more debacles like this.

Michelle McCool vs. Layla (Loser Leaves WWE Match)
I was honestly shocked at the outcome of this match but it makes perfect sense if you think about it. McCool is recently married to Undertaker and has been wrestling injured for some time. She probably wants time to heal and spend with her husband. There is no official word yet if she is actually gone from the company but time will tell.

I was also disappointed that Kharma (or Awesome Kong, as she was known in TNA) didn't get a bigger debut. She didn't need to be the star of the show but she should have had a more advertised or hyped up entrance. That being said, I think she will breathe new life into the Diva's locker room. Thank god, someone had to do it.

Jim Ross & Jerry Lawler vs. Michael Cole & Jack Swagger
I feel like I had to mention this one again because I was so disappointed that they didn't win. I personally would have loved to see Cole get the snot beat out of him.

John Cena vs. John Morrison vs. The Miz (Triple Threat Steel Cage Match for the WWE Championship)
I normally enjoy Cena's matches quite a bit. It's not that this one wasn't good, but it wasn't that great either. I felt that it was lacking a little something and that Morrison should have won instead of Cena. I had a theory, as well as my Dad, that Morrison should have won the belt and kept it for a few months. As much as I love John Cena, he should have won the title at a major PPV like Summerslam. It will be interesting to see how long he has it this time with his impending main event with Rocky set for Wrestlemania XXVIII. Also, John Morrison should have been hyped up better and added to the feud of Cena vs. Miz. Honestly, he didn't make too much sense and should have been integrated better.

----------

Monday Night Raw saw fallout from Extreme Rules and the birthday celebration of The Rock. I figured that there wouldn't be much wrestling on the broadcast as we saw appearances from Pitbull, the Miami Heat dancers, and Mya. It was fairly entertaining but I was hoping for a bit more in-ring competition.

The opening video for the show, before the opening credits even rolled really was touching considering the events of the last 24 hours. Like I have said a bazillion times before, no one does it better than the production team at WWE. Adding to that was Lillian Garcia singing the national anthem, what an amazing way to show unity at such a controversial and emotional time in the world.

Other than the birthday bash, not a whole lot happened, but I would like to say that this angle with R-Truth really is getting on my nerves. I simply don;t think he is main event material, not saying that he isn't a good wrestler. He just needs to find a gimmick that works and stick to it. I don't enjoy watching him attack John Morrison from behind and bad mouth fans. Sorry but it just doesn't work for me.

Kharma also came out again tonight and did the same bit that she did last night. I'm still not too sure what to think about her but I would like to see a program developed between her and Beth Phoenix. I think that they will make her come out and attack the other ladies for a while longer before they give her anything of real substance.

The last moment I watched the broadcast before I tuned out is the re-match between Cena and Miz. I knew Alex Riley would be there and help him cheat for the win but I still held out hope he would turn on The Miz. With Riley being drafted to Smackdown, it will be interesting to see how he develops and branches out on his own.

The 'WTF?!' moment for me tonight was when John Cena said that he had a present for Rocky and raised the WWE title. Will the main event with the two be a title match? Will it have another stipulation? Will John Cena even have the belt come April 2012? I honestly don't think I can wait almost a year to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment