Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Why I Love the WWE.

In the last two weeks or so, I've had some people pick on me for my love of professional wrestling. I have heard everything they had to say. It's fake, it's scripted, they aren't athletes, and blah, blah, blah. I usually don't let it get to me and I just brush it off. However, I feel the need to tell people why I love it and why I am so passionate about it.

I'm sure I have mentioned this before but I have literally been watching wrestling since I was born. I think I was a day or two old and my dad brought me home from the hospital and we watched my very first episode of Superstars together. From that second, I was hooked. To me, it is much more than watching something on pay-per-view or television. It's spending time with my dad, enjoying something together. Wrestling is something that we share and it ties us together even more. Some of the best times of my life have been spent with my dad on the couch watching our favourites compete in the ring.

The people who step between those ropes are not only entertainers, they are athletes as well. They train hard and they work hard. I always take offense when people say they are just actors. These men and women train every day, they put their bodies on the line, and they do it because they love it. It is all for the fans, they may not make 28 million dollars for a year contract, but they put on a show like no other. I have been to a few live events and I have never had more fun. The crowd is electric, you can literally feel the excitement in the air and coursing through the entire building. I find the fans of wrestling have an unspoken bond, I always end up chatting with everyone that sits in whatever section I'm in, either before or after the show. It really does bring people together.

I have also been witness to some of the biggest and most shocking moments in sports entertainment history. I have seen my favourite wrestlers be triumphant, be screwed over (I don't even have to explain this one), get beaten down, and sadly pass away. I remember where I was when Bret got screwed over, when Chris Benoit died, when Owen Hart had his tragic accident, and pretty much everything else. Even when I talk about my favourite moments and superstars, I get emotional and fired up. These people who step between the ropes each and every week are a integral part of my life. I watch them, I cheer them, I boo them, and I enjoy each and every step of the way.

And this, is why I love the WWE.

No comments:

Post a Comment